We know good science teaching and learning is happening when...
- Children enjoy Science, perceiving it as ‘fun’ and ‘exciting’.
- Children are engaged in their learning through practical ‘hands-on’ activities.
- Children are curious. They are asking questions and exploring their own ideas.
- Children are beginning to use scientific vocabulary to talk about their learning.
- Children use a range of equipment and resources (including ICT), which are appropriate for the topic.
- Children are working as a class, in pairs or in a team and everyone has an active role.
- Children learn how to investigate and can start to lead their own enquiries.
- Children can make links; the learning is relevant to them and placed in context.
- The curriculum is enriched through a variety of visits and/or visitors.
- Learning is recorded in a variety of ways that children can discuss with others.
Science in Key Stage 1
In Key Stage One the curriculum is split into different areas. These include; Plants, Animals including humans, Living things and their habitats, Materials and Seasonal Changes. These areas are taught over the course of Year 1 and Year 2.
Our Key Stage 1 pupils enjoy a range of learning activities and carry out lots of hands on experiments and enquires. Children are encouraged to make predictions and talk about their choices. We ensure all children have an active role in Science lessons and when children are questioned about Science they say that it is "fun" and "you try things out."
Science in the Early Years
In the foundation stage we foster a hands-on curiosity for exploration of the world which feeds into the children’s skills for enquiry further on in the school. Children are encouraged to develop their scientific skills through careful observations, investigations, experimenting, measuring, comparing and questioning. We aim to provide children with a range of opportunities where they are encouraged to make predictions, carry out fair tests, use scientific vocabulary, and technology. We nurture and promote a sense of responsibility in all children to care and respect their surroundings and all living things.
We enjoyed Science Week at home,here are the pictures our pupils shared from the experiments they carried out. Lots of children joined in!
Science Week in school
In Reception we carried out a daily experiment throughout Science week, we had lots of fun
Science Week 2017
We enjoyed Science week at school and at home!
Ideas for Science that you can carry out at home!
Websites to try for inspiration: