Who is on the School Council?
There are 2 children from each class, (Year 1 and Year 2) All council members are elected by their class using votes. Children have to think about someone who will be a good listener, is kind towards others and who will be responsible.
Mrs Ritchie is the Grown-Up in charge of the school council who will help the children solve any issues and support their ideas.
How often do we meet?
This depends on how many decisions there are to be made, but usually we will meet once or twice a term at lunchtimes in Mrs Ritchie's classroom.
What do the School Council do?
The School Council take part in lots of activities including:
• Listening to the views and concerns of other pupils, if anyone in your class have a problem they can always come to you.
• Representing these concerns to teachers, Miss Higham is in charge of organising our school council
• Coming up with ideas to help improve the school and make decisions;
• Fundraise for different school projects and other charities.
- Help the local area, last year we enjoyed carrying out a litter pick down by the cycle path as this was a main issue raised by members.
What we have been up to so far this year...
- Collected for our local food bank
- Organised a Halloween disco
- Highlighted the importance of recycling through recycling week
- Collected over 70 shoe boxes for the 'Boxes of Hope Cumbia' shoebox appeal
School Council Code of Conduct
As agreed by the School Council
- To be on time to every school council meeting
- Respect and listen to each others ideas
- Put your hand up if you want to speak
- make decisions after we have listened to each other
- Always have the interest of the whole school at heart when making decisions
- give all children a voice
- Have a positive 'can do' attitude
- Join in with all of our agreed activities
Our shoebox appeal managed to collect over 70 boxes!
Esk Avenue, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 8AJ